Extra virgin olive oils are rich in bioactive substances such as polyphenols, tocopherols, squalene, oleic acid and sterols which all make it beneficial to the health. The combination of factors such as the composition of the soil, the age of the olive tree, the altitude, water stress, the early harvest of the olives, the varietal; together with milling at low temperatures below 20ºC, always within two hours of harvesting, make our oils rich in fats and bioactive compounds.
Living a healthy life, taking regular moderate exercise and supplementing a rich and varied Mediterranean diet with extra virgin olive oil can increase our life expectancy. Extra virgin olive oil has a substantial effect on our health as, rich in polyphenols, it has been scientifically proven to give us multiple benefits. Here are 12 of the main ways in which consumption of extra virgin olive oil can improve our health.
1. Extra virgin olive oil effectively prevents heart disease.
2. It is an antioxidant which acts against ageing. Its phenolic compounds present in the oil are what makes it bitter and peppery.
3. It is an anti-inflammatory which does not produce side effects. The oleocanthal, which gives the Hojiblanca variety its peppery finish, has the same anti-inflammatory activity as Ibuprofen.
4. It helps the cardiovascular system improving circulation.
5. It is an efficient controller of cholesterol. It eliminates bad cholesterol LDL and increases good cholesterol HDL.
6. It is a powerful neuroprotective agent which helps prevent diseases such as Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s.
7. It helps to prevent diabetes.
8. Its consumption helps to improve motor behaviour and muscular activity.
9. It is magnificent for lowering blood pressure.
10. It aids the digestive system. Protecting the stomach.
11. It helps reduce the malignancy of breast cancer, slowing down the growth of tumours.
12. It is rich in vitamins and minority components like squalene which are of great interest and use in the cosmetic industry. In particular, squalene is used for its antioxidant benefits and is also used as an adjuvant in vaccines, aiding the autoimmune system of the body.